Monday, February 7, 2011

My first 21K at Condura Skyway Marathon

 We set off to Ayala triangle 3 in the morning eager to run the much awaited Condura Skyway Marathon. As I look for my designated start corral which is under letter (A) I saw my fellow UP aNR Willy Dineros and John Alex. There was a fiesta atmosphere and the place was packed. The place was full of eager runners you can see excited faces and hear excited voices; you’d think we’ll take some time to finish. 

I started like in my previous run race in a moderate pace after the gun was fired. From the middle of the pack I trampled slowly increasing my pace little by little. I moved on loosely together with hundreds of runners, veterans and newbie’s, with me sharing the road. The first water/aid station was along Amorsolo and I didn’t hesitate grasping a cup for hydration. We turn right in Arnaiz going to the footbridge of the skyway. It was a heartbreak ascending in the skyway.

At the top of the skyway you could see the huge and beautiful road and it seems no end. Still dark surrounds the area you could hardly see the skyscraper along the vicinity. But there lights alluring your eyes to behold.
 
Running the car-less section of the skyway was bliss and heart breaking, like a roller coaster ups and down. Add up the cool weather, it was an enjoyable race. The fresh air amidst the rolling terrain was an unforgettable experience.

I reached 5km faster than my goal pace and was surprised that my rhythm was still fine; I guess it was the taper that matter. I felt good, although by the time I was headed back to BGC I felt footsore and tired. But I have to move on and ignore the pain. The only relief was when I reached the water/aid station I slowed down and walked to have a sip.

I took a little advantage downwards the skyway. I let the gravity do down for me. At least I didn’t exert any effort to run and have time to relax my muscle a little bit. It was another struggle along Buendia although the road was fine and some crowded push you to gain the race.

What fulfills me more is when I saw my wife rushing to hug me and my son taking pictures at me in the finish line. It’s really great to see your loved ones at the end of the race. It takes away your weary. I was pretty satisfied with the outcome of this race. I finished strong for 2:33:40 wanting to do another half marathon again.

1 comment: