Sunday, March 6, 2011

Unilab Run United 1



It’s a wellness race again for the year 2011. This time I ran 21k in a prestigious Unilab Run United 1 organized by runrio. Last November 2010 was only 3k and that’s my second run race.

I'll spare everyone the suspense now (and hope you'll all continue to read anyway...), but I got a new PR this race 02:27 OMG!!!! 

Okay, I laid everything out the night before so I could get out the door quickly and get to the race on time. The sky was pitch-black when I left our condo. It was still dark when I parked and pinned bib numbers onto my race belt and it was so annoying ‘cause when I’m already to go, there’s something in my stomach that also ready to go, so I have to use the pay toilet which cost 10 pesos.

The course was almost completely flat perfect to run at an even pace, except the kalayaan flyover. My strategy during my training runs and during the race was to use my legs as little as possible on all the uphill sections, while at the same time exaggerating the use of my upper body (forward arm swing and increased lean). On the downhill sections my objective was to lean into the downhill and allow my stride to lengthen as much as possible. I was basically trying to run as fast as I could safely manage on all the downhill by cooperating with the pull of gravity (which I also did in condura).

The first 10 km are always relatively easy for me, so I could break out of the pack; albeit not by much except for two times full over just to answer the question of nature. I maintained a very steady pace, not even slowing down in the third quarter although this was the one where my feet and muscles began aching and I was thinking “what a stupid idea; why didn’t I just go for a long walk instead?” The last quarter is psychologically easier because you’re already counting down the km markers: 19, 20 and finally 21. With the goal of a race time of 2 hours in sight, I managed to carry on regardless of physical pain and fatigue, fighting for every minute.

Crossing the finish line was a happy moment and, I admit it, feeling proud. I realized the big payoff that consistent training brings. Amazingly, I still had energy (the extra fueling worked!).

Now I am going to ache and limp for 2 days, but the sense of achievement is worth it.




1 comment:

  1. This is a "sweet" finish for you! Congrats, bro!:-)

    ReplyDelete